28 June 2014

Book Talk: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

This book was strongly recommended to me, and the title snatched me for sure. Unfortunately, I was overall disappointed.
Sentence-Synopsis: Fangirl is about a girl who is obsessed with Harry Potter and doesn't want to move on to college but she has to anyway and has personal growth.
First of all, I really enjoyed Rowell's writing style. Her sentences were crisp and her vocabulary was good enough to keep me interested. She had excellent flow and easily painted a picture of each scene for her readers. She often includes details that may seem unnecessary, but really end up complementing the piece nicely.
Having just finished my freshman year of college myself, the story was very relatable. Cather has all the same apprehensions we do, and same dry humor we love to use in ventilation on Twitter. I can see how readers easily connect with her story. We root for her as we would ourselves in her relationships and accomplishments. I was simply disappointed that the story didn't grab me more. It wasn't quite tantalizingly unique.
Sometimes, predictability is a side effect of a relatable book. I didn't guess every detail coming, but no gasping or rapid fanning of face occurred. Although the boyfriend is a total dream, Cath gets there in a very realistic way. He isn't a far-away fantasy like Edward, but he's someone we would wish for, even though there are evident flaws. Rowell doesn't leave out the minor dramas that happen in college, but she doesn't blow it out of proportion either. I applaud her for that and I reiterate, it's a very believable novel. If contemporary romance is your favorite, you will love this book. Slightly witty, entertaining enough, and easy to breeze through.
For me, Fangirl would have made the perfect grieving book. It's the hammock you lie in while wearing your Literary Indifference hat after having your heart broken by the most recent installment of the sci-fi series you're committed to.
Overall Grade:     B
Disclaimers: Adult language used casually and consistently, very brief intimacy.

No comments: