25 July 2013

Steel Magnolias


"This is it, I have found it. I am in hell."

This journey is an absolute gem. It has all my favorite feels in it. Steel Magnolias is the story of six friends who give their story to the audience through visits to Truvy's salon. Shelby is about to be married, her mother M'Lynn is like any mother-of-the bride, widow of the mayor Clairee enjoys watching all of it unfold, Annelle is a brand new stylist and scared to death, and Ms. Ouiser Boudreaux is just about every cranky loud grandma you've ever met, combined and magnified by 18. As their lives and love change, we see the beautiful strength in these women.
This is one of the plays I am most grateful for. I hold an overwhelming appreciation to my director for trusting me with the gift of Ouiser. She's a nut, like me, but I can't believe he actually believed in me that much, and for that and many other lessons he taught me, I'll be indebted to him in my entire life. I had so much fun in this wonderful story. I learned so much from all the other actors who each became my role model. I love them very much. This show was so special because the note sessions we were able to have were so focused and particular, as we played with each other's hair our director would give us the most valuable feedback. Since this play was a cast of all women, amazingly enough, he directed another marvelous show called "12 Angry Men." They were all so good and we loved having that super cool experience of transforming the set back and forth.



No comments: